Thursday 24 September 2009

Urban Spaces











Coming from a background, where it seemed to me that art is not given so much importance, I have often questioned the existence and significance of art itself. More than its significance I dwelled over its meaning. To what extent does our society value art and how important is to the general public? This led me to take note of the unconscious existence of art and imagery in my city, my space. The walls; they create boundaries, constrain, and restrict all activity, creating space within space and yet are greatly used to voice society’s consciousness. The walls that hold my surroundings are overwhelmingly encrusted with cheap advertisements, religious propaganda and political graffiti. With the city’s unfolding political events that are continually recorded, reviewed and avenged on these walls layer upon layer there surfaced a sense of insecurity. Wall Photographs 2007.

1 comment: